5 Ways to Freshen Your Home for Summer
Summer is just around the corner (finally!) and something we’ve waited all year for. The warmer weather, picnics at the park, spending time rekindling with loved ones, the list goes on. As we get ready to welcome one of our seasons, there’s no better way to do so than with a home refresh - that’s right, spring cleaning has become the summer refresh. Here are 5 ways to freshen your home for summer.
One of the best ways to do so? Saying “out with the old” to what no longer brings you joy!
Our homes have become our sanctuaries, so why keep around the things piling up and collect dust? Instead, go through your stuff, sort into “keep” and “sell” piles, and say goodbye. Refreshing your home might just become your new “welcome summer” routine! Check out these tips to pick what’s actually worth selling around your home, brought to you by the experts at Sella.
- Phones, laptops, tablets! Upgrade to the latest device recently? For the ones you stopped using once you replaced them, don’t let them sit around. Used electronics are great to sell if they still work (yes, even if there’s a little crack on the side!), and they lose value as the months go on. The sooner you sell, the hundreds more you’ll make.
- Anything that you haven't used for six months. We’ve all been there, sorting through our stuff to get rid of and thinking, “have I used this in the past year?” but keeping it anyways even if it’s been two. It’s time to get real with what’s serving its purpose and sell what’s not - expensive gifts you received, old hobby gear, musical instruments, kids gear, power tools, kitchen appliances or camping gear, those probably aren’t doing you good anymore.
- Seasonal items. There’s no better time to get rid of the things you used this time last year but don’t see yourself taking off the shelves again. Sunglasses, blenders, ice cream makers… all of the things that are quintessentially summer can go to another home for new memories.
- Factory sealed items. If you have stuff still in the manufacturer’s packaging, why keep it around? Think gaming mouses, small appliances, refrigerator filters etc., if it would sell for more than $40 originally, go ahead and get rid of it.
- Brand name jackets, shoes and sporting wear. If it’s still in good condition and has a brand name tag on it with an original value more than $100, let someone else upgrade their closet while you refresh yours. If reselling clothes feels too overwhelming, try sticking to these categories as a rule of thumb. They tend to do well on resale marketplaces, which means more cash in your wallet!
When you’re ready to get rid of those resellables, check out Sella to have someone do the hard work for you - that’s right, say goodbye to creating listings, taking photos and coordinating meetups or post office trips. Be sure to join the waitlist for when it comes to a home near you!
Ready to freshen your home for summer? For some inspiration on home upgrades, check out our blog post on tips for Spring home updates. Let us know how you’re getting ready for the summer on Instagram or Twitter!