10 Ideas to Make Earth Day Every Day
Today is one of our favorite days because like birthdays, Christmas and personal holidays, it encourages us to pause to think about someone, or in this case, something, in a more meaningful way. As we acknowledge that many of our actions have affected Mother Earth negatively, we’re reflecting on actions we can take to have a more positive impact; knowing that the best gift we can give her is our awareness and willingness to do something different.
- Reduce your use of single-use items – and if you need to use single-use plastic items, figure out a way to make it a double use. For example, if we get a plastic bag from take-out, we reuse it as a garbage bag.
- Get a reusable coffee mug! We did it for shopping bags. Make it your new habit to have one handy. We love Hydro Flask.
- Support new building initiatives – make your voice heard by choosing to live in more efficient homes and buildings
- Say goodbye to zip-lock bags. There are tons of other options from reusable containers to compostable bags from HoldOn.
- Eat vegan or vegetarian at least one day a week, meal delivery services like Purple Carrot, make it easy! We also love following @cookieandkate for vegetarian recipe inspiration!
- Walk or bike instead of drive – or use public transportation if you like to meet interesting new people
- Consider a wardrobe capsule filled with staples and rent trendy items from Rent the Runway
- Turn off your lights – it’s so simple
- Reduce and reuse is so much more critical than recycle in this phrase reduce, reuse, recycle. See what’s happening with our glut of consumption that we recycle.
- Reduce food waste and reuse the waste! In a conscious effort to reduce food waste, we try to use everything we buy – finding ways to smoothie or juice it or make fried rice with whatever was left. Not only do we throw less food away, but we started saving $10-20 a week – you do the math!
There are so many ways we can support the health of our planet. Thanks to awareness, education and conscious brands, the opportunity to make Earth Day every day is a reality. What will you commit to do this year? Share your commitments with us on Instagram or Facebook!