A Wellness Idea
Instead of giving things up for the New Year, consider adding something to your life! In the spirit of #selfcare, we’re resolving to do something for ourselves (no matter how small) every day in 2017. As you kick off the New Year consider trying a century-old hobby that’s proven to bring people joy: Backyard bird feeding!
Here are a few reasons to start feeding the birds in 2017:
- Proven health benefits: According to this new Outside article, connecting with nature is better than xanax.
- It’s one of the easiest ways to enjoy nature: Anyone can relax and watch the birds from their window – in any kind of weather.
- It’s not just for old people. Bird feeding is a great way for us busy professionals looking to take a break from our screens to enjoy nature. For those of you with kids, it’s a fun opportunity to teach them about the different species!
- It can revive your marriage. Seriously, just read this NYT love story.
- It’s helpful. For animals lovers, winter (now through March) is the time of year when birds need extra food and water the most.
Will you join us in resolving to feed the birds this year?! Here are 5 tips from Audubon Park Wild Bird Seed to help get you started:
- Know your local birds. Here’s a map and list of popular birds.
- Feed them their favorite food.
- Make them feel at home with trees, shrubs, flowers and a bird house.
- Give them bath and drinking water.
- Keep them safe: Make sure your seed, suet or nectar is made-in-the-USA and place feeders away from windows and predators